“Labor is powerful and intense, but it is the joy of
that is overwhelming with love.”
What is a Doula?
The word doula, is an ancient Greek word that means “woman’s servant” or “a woman who serves”.
Today the word doula has come to mean a labor support person. A doula offers resources, information, support, helps to create a secure environment, assistance with relaxation, breathing, and position changes during labor. A doula is someone who will support you in all your decisions regarding your pregnancy, labor and birth, she does not make decisions for you. A doula does not take the place of a woman’s partner, but instead supports both a mother and her partner as they become a family.
How Can a Doula Help Me?
- 31% decrease in the use of Pitocin
- 28% decrease in the risk of C-section
- 12% increase in the likelihood of a spontaneous vaginal birth
- 9% decrease in the use of any medications for pain relief
- 14% decrease in the risk of newborns being admitted to a special care nursery
- 34% decrease in the risk of being dissatisfied with the birth experience
Information from www.evidencebasedbirth.com
Will a Doula Help if I Want an Epidural?
Absolutely! Even if you are planning to get an epidural, a doula can still provide resources, education, support at home and at the hospital, assist with position changes during labor, assist with siblings, & offer support with breastfeeding initiation. Some women still feel some pain and discomfort even with an epidural, a doula can help with other comfort measures.
Why Choose a Natural Birth?
- There are no side effects
- Baby also benefits from the mother’s endorphins secreted during labor
- Freedom to move around during labor and after
- Mothers who have natural births feel empowered
- Better able to work with your body during labor and especially for pushing
- Less likely to need forceps or vacuum for delivery
- Easier and faster recovery postpartum
- Breastfeeding initiation easier
Services & Fees
- Complimentary interview at my classroom in Whitney Point, NY
- 2 prenatal visits: In these meetings, we will discuss the details of your birth plan, our strategies for achieving your goals, and any concerns you may have.
- Email and phone support throughout pregnancy
- Access to my library of over 75 books
- On call from date of hire until birth
- Constant labor support. When you go into labor, I will meet you at your home or the hospital according to your wishes. I will remain with you until after the birth of your baby and provide up to two hours of support after your birth.
- Assistance with breastfeeding initiation
- 1-2 postpartum visits including lactation assistance if requested
- Birth with first baby: $800
- VBAC: $800
- Previous client: $600
- Have had a previous birth: $700
- Save $50 if also taking Newborn Naturally Childbirth classes!
*Some insurance companies will reimburse doula services. FSA funds can often be used for doula services. Please check with your insurance company.
**As a doula I cannot provide any medical services or offer medical advice.
The primary hospitals where I practice are: Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital, Binghamton, NY; UHS Wilson Memorial Hospital, Johnson City, NY; Cortland Regional Medical Center, Cortland, NY